Food Production & Testing Facilities at MTL, Cork,
Moorepark Technologies Limited
(MTL is a joint venture company between Teagasc and the Irish Dairy Industry)
March 2018 – August 2019
C.J. Falconer & Associates, St Patricks House,
Malone O Regan, St Catherine’s House,
Catherine Street, Waterford.
MacMinn O Reilly Mahon, Wyse House,
Adelphi Quay, Waterford
This project involved the completion of multiple phases of construction in a live plant where operational activity needed to be optimised throughout the duration of the project. It is a licensed food production facility and operates ultra-modern technology pilot process systems to ISDO22000 and customer specific GMP standards.
Phases included construction of new Storage Warehouse, new Distribution Yards, renovation and upgrade to High Care Powder Production Tower Plant, construction of new Separation, Wet Process and Bio Fermentation Production Halls as well as fully refurbishing and extending the staff and administration areas.
The building works comprised of the construction of a two storey & single storey extension to the south of the existing facility to provide new office space, laboratories and canteen / and hot food kitchen facilities, including renovation works to the existing welfare areas. A new 3500m2 northern extension was constructed as a separate work phase containing processing areas and storage facilities and a new central plant room serving the entire facility.
The construction of a 6 storey lift shaft attached to existing drying tower building together with the addition of a 6th floor inconjuntion with the removal and reconfiguration of the drying tower roof structure and new roof treatment formed the key works to the new High Care Powder Production Tower.
External works consisted of additional car parking spaces, revisions to internal access roadways and all associated site works including services and ancillary accommodation. The site works also involved the demolition and site clearance of several redundant buildings and structures. A 2.5km long 200DN ductile iron rising water main was also installed to the Teagasc campus as part of the work scope.
- Construction carried out on a live food production and pilot testing facility.
- Area containment and segregation to ensure cross contamination of product was avoided.
- Zoning requirements of people and product flow adhered to.
- 6 Week programme for renovation and upgrade to High Care Powder Production Tower Plant, originally a 5 storey building fully renovated with a 6th floor added.
- Customer audited site to ensure segregation, containment, pest control, waste management were managed.
- Extensive evening time, weekend working and accelerated working requirements during production shutdown periods were a feature throughout the multi-phased upgrade and extension works programme.